2011년 4월 12일 화요일

Mrs. Farhi's Store



Mrs. Farhi and Mr. Farhi works here at a convenience store in a tunnel that goes to Granville Skytrain station. It is also a convenience store I pass by almost in daily basis. This is an interesting store because I see a man and a woman working on different days taking turns working here. As I have noticed, the older man works here during the weekends and the middle aged woman works here during the week days most of the times. I could easily approach them because I see them regularly.

I had difficulties interviewing the couple because they could not speak much English and their strong accent reminded me of the time when I went to India for a while to visit one of my closest friend Jawid. I treated them just like I treated people from India which meant that I had to use my body as a way of communicating without much talking.

So, they moved here because they did not like how the country was ran, and said that it is more free and less strict here. They used to live a very unstable life financially. They used to own a farm and the government did not pay them enough for their labor so eventually they became fed up with the low payments and decided to move to Canada. They left their two young sons in India with their grand parents. They have two jobs each to pay for their education and food back in India to support their son. One day, they will bring their sons here and reunite the family. They very much miss their friends and family there but to support their family they needed to come here and work for more money.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기